Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Holy Week

For Catholics this is the most important week from the year, especially Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
I was remembering when I was a child; the Holy Week was really strict; nobody listen music, not even the radio because it was a sin. Everything was quiet and some people wore black clothing. My grand ma Elvira said those who take a bath in the river during the Holy Week, become a mermaid. During those days we could not clean the house, not speak swear words or eat red meat. Instead we had to behave well. Everyone in my neighborhood and surroundings was sad, it was like the real death of Jesus happened those days; we went to the church more than ten times a week including the fake funeral to the statue of Jesus. I remember old ladies crying and kissing the feet from the sculpture of Jesus, making me feel frightened of those estrange things and believes. Also, the churches were open the twenty four hours a day and people stayed there taking care of the supposedly Jesus body, we use to bring flowers to the coffin in signal of sorrow and respect. Nowadays, the Holy Week means Vacations!! Nothing similar to the past, kids want to celebrate the Easter day because on that day they wear in new and fancy dresses, possibly they go to church. Unfortunately, in this country full of benefits the religious education isn’t trusted in the same way as we did in our countries. Actually, I miss all those traditions from the past because that is part of my childhood and I wish to have my grand ma with me during the Holy Week, but unfortunately she past away few years ago.
(I miss you abuelita!)

2 Comments:

At 5:27 AM, Blogger R. W. Graf said...

Not to upset you, but you call this week vacation? All I have on my mind are my deadlines, meetings and work I have to do for next week. But I remember when I was a child, Easter was all about the family, going for a long walk, having a picknic on a grassy area in the forrest and just enjoy the time of being together.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Eny said...

Ask me about Robert, Just today I had to run to pick up my Epi term paper, then I had to do two more things and latter go to work. This week is just crazy!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home